Community

King Street Studios featuring Shannon Reeves

It’s taken me a minute to upload my feature on King Street Studios which was featured in the July/August issue of Arbus Magazine – Northeast Florida’s Arts and Business Magazine. I interviewed Shannon Reeves back in 2009 for the Florida Times-Union when she was still a proprietor in Historic Five Points. Relationship(s) matter, and I […]

FLORIDIANS FIGHT for LGBT Rights.

Floridians Fight for LGBT Workplace Rights Florida Courier/New America Media, News Report, Penny Dickerson, Posted: Nov 29, 2013 Gay rights took a leap forward when the U.S. Senate voted 64-32 to approve the Employment Non-Discrimination Act (ENDA). The Nov. 7 landmark victory bans workplace discrimination against members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgendered […]

Poverty and Homelessness Conference at Stetson

POVERTY UNDER THE SUN: ADVANCING FLORIDA’S POOR October 29, 2015 Filed under DAYTONA BEACH, LEAD STORIES, NEWS Posted by 9admin9 Students open up about their experience with poverty and homelessness at DeLand conference. BY PENNY DICKERSON DAYTONA TIMES Bryanna Anderson is an African-American senior enrolled at Mainland High School in Daytona Beach. Amidst […]

Levar Burton Interview: Orlando Arts Magazine

As a graduate student at Lesley University, I penned a poem that ventured the impact the mini-series “Roots” had on both my family and formative years. I wanted Alex Haley to be my daddy and all the girls in eighth-grade were teased and called, “Kizzie.” The more haunting truth was it was the last time I […]

Chef Amadeus wins the title: “Extreme Chef”

Congratulations CHEF AMADEUS! Meal worms and a stubborn donkey were obstacles, but neither a strong enough deterrent to impede the inevitable success of Chef Amadeus. Innovation, perseverance, and technique proved to be a winning trio in a Mexican showdown full of X-Factors including a Mariachi band and Pinatas. In the end, Chef Amadeus eliminated Chef […]

LeVar Burton talks  “Roots & Digital Rainbows”

LeVar Burton talks “Roots & Digital Rainbows”

October 1, 2015 Filed under ENTERTAINMENT, METRO Posted by editor LeVar Burton speaks exclusively to the Florida Courier in advance of his November appearance at Rollins College in Winter Park. BY PENNY DICKERSON FLORIDA COURIER LeVar Burton is best remembered in the archives of American culture for his debut  in the 1977 mini-series “Roots.” In […]

Orlando Arts Magazine – The Kinsey Collection

Click link to read “Re-Discovering America: The Kinsey Collection”  OAM M-J 15 Brush Strokes-Kinsey Bernard, Shirley, and Khalil Kinsey are three of my favorite public families (and people) next to that of President Barack and Michelle and those two stylish daughters! The cultural exhibit, “The Kinsey Collection” is an American Wonder that Walt Disney World Resorts has extended at EPCOT Center […]